When Fortune Magazine quotes the World Health Organization with regards to the developed world’s sleep deficiency and calls it a public health epidemic, you should slow down and take pause. Sleep has become an elusive luxury, and it is a problem that is completely of our own making. Our on-the-go society ignores sleep and glorifies busy-ness.
It seems that it is harder and harder to achieve a wonderfully luxurious sleep. I can remember the single most heavenly sleep I have ever experienced like it was yesterday. Years ago, on a stop-over in Seattle, at a hotel (the name eludes me) in the downtown core, there was this bed. It was swaddled in layers of pristine white sheets and laden with plush pillows. The moment that I hit that bed, it was all over. I woke up with my head at the foot of the bed, buried under the blankets dreaming of heaven. Never has a bed so captured the luxury of sleep, like that one did for one glorious night.
What is Great Sleep?
Science defines sleep as eight unbroken hours of multiple sleep cycles, although at this point in our lives, it seems that sleeping, itself, has become the luxury. With the Monday to Friday career path augmented with a side hustle or two, being able to get eight hours seems unattainable. This is where the quality over the quantity of sleep becomes essential, and why it was time to address the lack of support that my current memory foam mattress offered.
Two months ago, I met with Jamie at Sleep Country on West Broadway to find out more about how to achieve an elevated sleep experience. The options were quite overwhelming as the ‘mattress in a box’ phenomenon has expanded the market with amazing product.
I had my budget figured out, and within a 30-minute consult (and a few mini-naps), Jamie and I had put together a package that would work within my budget and took into account my lifestyle – excessive computer work, chronic neck and shoulder problems, and being a light sleeper. The Bloom Cloud Mattress offers advanced gel memory and latex foam that conform to your body, a washable organic cover, and has air cut channels that help regular your body temperature to ensure a cool sleep.
With the mattress chosen, Jamie explained that creating the ideal sleep conditions, requires more than just a great mattress; everything above the mattress is also important.
According to Sleep Country, the five points to consider when choosing a mattress are:
- Comfort: Relax and try several mattresses in your normal sleep position. Wear comfortable clothing and if possible, bring your partner.
- Size: Ensure your mattress gives you plenty of room to move. Can you stretch, roll-over, and move your arms and legs?
- Support: Your new mattress should gently conform to your body while keeping your spine in a relaxed, neutral position.
- Durability: The foundation for a good night’s rest is consistent support and enhancement of the sleeping experience.
- Price: Getting a good night’s rest is vital to your health. What price are you comfortable with?
Add-On’s to Create A Luxury Sleep Experience
Like toppings on a sundae can make or break the dessert experience, choosing the elements to finish your bed refines the sleeping experience. Jamie explained the importance of a mattress topper, and we finally settled on the Tempur-pedic Protex-It with a 12-year replacement warranty. It is treated with Aegis, which is anti-everything – bacteria, dust, and mould, that lasts wash after wash. The triple layer coating of polyurethane makes the mattress waterproof, and 100% cotton at the surface absorbs moisture and provides breathability.
Choosing sustainably-produced bamboo sheets was important. The Bamboo Nights sheets have a 300 thread count and are the softest I have ever slept on. Made from 100% rayon derived from bamboo, the set is stylish with piped hem finish on the top sheet and pillowcases. Bonus that they are completely machine washable and quite quick to dry.
For someone with chronic neck problems due to continuous mousing, the set of Tempur-pedic Adapt Pillows completed the trip to Sleep Country. The Tempur technology precisely adapts to your head, neck, and shoulders for all-night comfort. The pillow cover is made with a cooling premium knit fabric that is cool-to-touch. As a back sleeper, having the neck support of this pillow made all the difference between waking up still achy and waking up moving smoothly to the coffee maker.
The Big Box with Wheels
When the delivery arrived, the big blue Bloom Cloud box rolled in and was easily positioned for unpacking. Sleep Country offers the removal of your old mattress and the delivery persons will also set-up your new mattress – all these extras are included the cost, as is the shipping.
After 45-days on the Bloom Cloud, I can honestly say that the whole experience was easier than expected and completely worthwhile. It did take about a week to get comfortable on the Bloom Cloud – I had such high expectations that I think I experienced sleep anxiety! However each night, sleep came a little quicker and was deeper than the previous night. The Tempur-pedic Adapt pillow help transition me from being a stomach sleeper to a side-sleep position, and my neck and back are grateful.
Helping Canadians get a great night’s sleep for over 20 years, Sleep Country’s sleep obsessed experts dialed into their years of experience to create the original Bloom Cloud in 2017. The Bloom Cloud has quickly become one of Sleep Country’s top performing mattresses. Bloom Cloud is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, and King sizes with an exclusive 100 Night Comfort Guarantee and a 10-year warranty.
This post was sponsored by SleepCountry Canada.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. email@example.com
- Beauty2020.02.18EcoLux☆Lifestyle: LyleXOX: Head of Design Launched at Inform Interiors
- Events2019.12.17EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Are You Ready for the Millionaire Lottery?
- Home & Decor2019.12.16EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Natalia Vetrova: Classically Trained and Capturing Passion
- Events2019.11.28EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Vallea Lumina Brings Illumination to Cougar Mountain