Designed out of a desire to redefine sustainable clothing and inspired by Canada’s great outdoors, Anian Modern Melton turns old wool products into durable, versatile clothing.
Founder and designer Paul Long wanted to create awareness around the wasteful textile industry. Long is a lover of the outdoors but was frustrated by the need to replace synthetic gear season after season. He looked to natural fibers as a way to reduce his footprint. His company, Anian, takes old socks, sweaters, suits, and more, and mills them through an innovative circular life cycle to become timeless, 100% Melton wool piece.
Extremely conscious of the textile waste created by our fashion-obsessed culture, Anian has taken over 60,000 lbs of post-consumer textile waste and created the Modern Melton—a shirt which harnesses waste to put a twist on a classic.
DEFINING A BRAND
Anian was the name explorers gave to a mythical passage meant to connect the West to the East. It was a search for the unknown, which is what stepping into the clothing industry felt like for the brand’s founders. The team had no idea what they were doing, but they dove in headfirst regardless!
WHAT IS MELTON?
As a textile, Melton was traditionally used in the making of peacoats worn by sailors. It has a weave so tight that it is resistant to both wind and water. Not only does this wool’s smooth, felt-like surface lend itself well to outdoor adventures, it is also elegant and luxurious. The resulting garments are well-suited for an evening on a rooftop patio, evenings by the fire, and walks with the friends.
THE ANIAN PROCESS
Anian uses wool that has been discarded from around the world. It is then milled in Italy into post-consumer recycled wool through an extensive process. This material is then sent to Canada to create the Anian Modern Melton. As a Canadian, Long prides himself in knowing the first name of everybody who helps ensure that the shirts meet the company’s high standards.
Benefits of Recycled Wool:
- Reduced land required for sheep
- Reduced air, water, and soil pollution
- Reduced waste in landfills
- Zero chemical dyes used
The Anian Modern Melton collection is sold online and out of Anian’s Victoria, BC flagship store at 575 Johnson Street. The Anian store opened in 2013 and is Canada’s first 100% solar-powered off-the-grid store, built out of 100% reclaimed materials.
Learn more about Canadian textile waste with these informative links:
- Mona Butler is a writer for EcoLuxLuv Communications. Mona has a passion for cruelty-free beauty and is constantly on the lookout for new product recommendations. When not working, she spends her free time in the gym or with her nose in a book.
- Beauty2020.02.26EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Catrice Cosmetics New Lip Products Pack a Moisturizing Punch
- Beauty2020.02.24EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Miss CEO Innovates with YVRs 1st Waterless Nail Salon
- Health & Wellness2020.02.13EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Jigme Love’s CBD Infused Drink ‘Infuzed Thirst’ at Oscars
- Fashion2020.02.10EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Galentine’s Day Celebrates Friends and Ourselves