The Folke plant-based restaurant is 1,400-square-feet of country chic in the heart of Kitsilano. The new spot offers an array of unique rustic sharing plates that highlight fresh produce and grains from BC-based farms. The interiors are gorgeous yet simple. The walls are rich deep ocean blue, the beautifully stained wood is complementary to the impressive wine wall, and the seaweed art is by local artist Dana Mulder.
The Duo Behind Folke
Founders chef-owner Colin Uyeda (Kissa Tanto, Pilgrimme), and pastry chef-owner Pricilla Deo (Queen Charlotte Lodge) offer a family-style setting with a menu that promises to change frequently. We love that there will be something new to catch your attention and try, no matter how often you visit!
The beverage program features unique local BC wines, beers, spirits, ciders, and mocktails crafted with housemade sodas. Ask your server for recommendations; as we learned, Spanish-style cider is not your usual bubbly, sweet fruity beverage.
We visited for the afternoon patio service from 3pm to 5pm, which we imagine will continue until Mother Nature makes it impossible! The afternoon Snack menu was simple – five tasting style plates – and a selection of beverages.
The restaurant’s ‘hospitality included’ style of service is unique and refreshing in a culinary scene that is already pricy and expects a 20%+ gratuity. Inspired by the European hospitality model, all staff receive a healthy salary with benefits while promoting a cohesive working environment and aims to create fairness between the front and back-of-house staff.
For those who cannot decide between all the tasty tasting plates, try the Tasting Menu which consists of the chef’s choice of courses and dessert.
Folke Restaurant is open Thursday to Monday from 3pm to 11pm.
All photography for this story by Helen Siwak.
- Helen Siwak is passionate about plantbased culinary, promoting a vegan lifestyle, shopping secondhand, and supporting eco-activists. Her plate is full as founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Comms (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). | firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dining & BeveragesJanuary 17, 2024Mushrooms! Grow Them at Home for Fresh & Flavourful Meals
- Dining & BeveragesAugust 2, 2023Be Prepared to Feast on Nuba’s New Retail Offerings
- Dining & BeveragesJune 12, 2023Amazing Mocktails: The Popularity of Zero-Proof Imbibing
- Dining & BeveragesJune 6, 2023From the Ground Up: 5 BC Businesses to Support!