You know you are a fashionista when…COVID-19 forces mask-wearing into the mainstream and within 48-hours you were online shopping! Who knew protecting others and yourself from droplets could be so stylish and fun?
To keep everyone safe, we need to recognize that wearing a mask is just how things are and make the best of it – it is a whole new category of accessory to shop for – and let’s make decisions that benefit our community and help out the Canadian fashion brands who are creating fashionable, sturdy, and safe masks.
Masked-Up with Nonie & SophieGrace
Womenswear wear brands Nonie and SophieGrace have launched ‘M(ask) Me’, a collection of face masks designed to offer support for victims of domestic abuse, which has increased dramatically during the COVID-19 pandemic. These two brands are donating $10 from every sale to various women’s organizations across the country.
“When the pandemic hit, I immediately felt the urge to pivot and produce the highest quality of non-medical masks for everyone,” shares Nina Kharey, founder and creative director of Nonie. “The initiative with Emma and SophieGrace is a way for us to help those in need, those who may not know where to go for help and those whose lives may be in danger, by making a simple identifying mask as a symbol of hope and support.”
“COVID-19 has had a significant impact on women across this country, and as stresses mount for so many, those facing violence at home are even more trapped,” said Emma May, SophieGrace founder and creative director.
YWCA Calgary Partnership
In partnership with YWCA Calgary, the ‘M(ask) Me’ initiative offers support to members of the community who may be seeking safety as a result of domestic violence during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Each mask features the ‘M(ask) Me’ logo on the side, indicating the wearer is equipped with the skills to foster safe conversations and information to local resources for those experiencing domestic abuse.
We Came for the Masks…Stayed for the Fashion!
- Helen Siwak is passionate about content creation, marketing, shopping secondhand, promoting a vegan lifestyle, and supporting organizations and activists fighting against the status quo. She is founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Communications (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). She is the founder of V.E.G. Networking Group and soon-to-launch LittleBlack.Tee | email@example.com.
- Charity2021.10.19BWSS My Sister’s Closet: Marking 20-Years of Empowering Survivors of Gender-Based Violence
- ☆ Shop Local Spotlights!2021.10.19Bite Down on This! BC-based Good Organics Launches Organic Toothpaste Tablets
- Beauty2021.10.05Teaology: Introduces 3 Powerful Serums Infused with Tea
- Beauty2021.09.28DEUX Cosmetics: Quebec Brand Launches Crueltyfree Discovery Boxes