In 2014, ORAKI founder Cynthia Savard began a movement in Montreal that has grown and reached the west coast. The name is unique, created from Aura (Ora) and Kindness (Ki), and encompasses everything Savard’s vision holds for the lifestyle brand.
Launched with core values centred on sustainability, longevity, and respect for people, the planet and its living habitats, ORAKI’s line of products is also 100% vegan and cruelty-free. Ideally suited for the west coast lifestyle!
ORAKI is Different
All production is completed in Canada using recycled cotton, regenerated nylon, recycled polyester, and others, which the brand developed over the past years. They have been working with recycled thread in spinning mills since 2015 to continuously improve staple fabrics and exclusively develop all the fabrics used.
ORAKI collections are produced in limited quantities to avoid inventory surpluses. We love that they always look for innovative ways to manufacture clothing while leaving the smallest possible footprint and creating more circular supply chains. For example, manufacturing a pair of leggings or a top in ORAKI cotton fleece requires 85% less energy and 20% less water, generating 75% fewer CO2 emissions than virgin manufactured fabrics.
Before founding ORAKI, Savard worked 15 years as head designer for leading names in the fashion industry. She rose through the ranks quickly to head a design team and travelled the world for work. Being exposed to fast fashion and products designed from animal by-products convinced her to create a sustainable alternative solution within the industry.
Savard shares, “As a vegetarian for 21 years and vegan for six, I have always felt a particular attachment to our planet and the living beings who make it home. I am very aware of pollution in any form. In 2014, when I was pregnant with my first child, I was presented with recycled fibre as part of my work (created from recycled plastic bottles at the time). This was the first I’d heard of this product. Very few companies worked with this type of fibre at the time. These included Chlorophylle and Patagonia, who were pioneers in the field.”
“The year 2014 was decisive for me. After two years of research and factory testing, I quit my well-paying job with benefits in 2016 and leaped into the unknown of starting a business.”
“My true passion is manufacturing recycled fabric. I love working in factories to develop new materials for manufacturers. We work for months and months on recycled fabrics. Some never see the light of day, and others are used to create the clothing you are wearing now. I am so proud of what ORAKI has become, thanks to our products, of course, but also our values and, above all, thanks to our community of exceptional women who respect each other and care for one another and our planet.”
ORAKI on the West Coast
ORAKI invited EcoLuxLifestyle to enjoy a showcase and Pilates session in Vancouver, where Savard spoke about her brand, its history, and how ORAKI will move into the future with a conscience for the planet and the people who wear and support the brand.
Follow ORAKI on Instagram and keep up with the newest collections!
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BeautyNovember 8, 2023Loa Skin: How Tyler & Spencer Create Clean Skincare Solutions for You
- Disruptive Women in BusinessOctober 6, 2023Marianne Zakhour: Orderbot Creates Success with Better Systems & Automation
- CharityOctober 4, 2023Arts Umbrella Presents the 41st Edition of the Splash Art Auction
- FashionSeptember 21, 2023ORAKI: Cynthia Savard Brings Her Passion to the West Coast