With Earth Day on the horizon, we at EcoLuxLifestyle are excited to share this thought-provoking new collaboration between IKEA and the World Surf League. An unlikely pairing that makes a lot of sense, and we are sure those packing up and heading to Tofino this season will agree.
Incredibly, IKEA brought together information gleaned from more than 3,500 surfers – from Brazil, Japan, Sweden, and Hawaii – who gave design input, conducted research, and tested prototypes. Among other products, this led to the creation of a versatile indoor boardholder and a surf-inspired backpack.
Pro Surfers Brought In
The World Surf League (WSL) understands the everyday life of people living in sync with the ocean. No sport relies on open waters as much as surfing and therefore protecting it comes naturally. Established in 1976, they are the global home of surfing and are dedicated to positively impacting the world. By creating events, experiences, and story-driven content, they inspire a growing community of ocean enthusiasts, the world’s best surfers, and their fans.
Today, there are 370 million people across the world interested in surfing and more than 40 million active surfers. And since the sport, quite naturally, takes place in open waters, surfers are generally passionate about tackling environmental challenges such as reducing plastic pollution in the oceans.
Together with former pro surfers Rob Machado, Kassia Meador and +3,500 other surfers, IKEA has created a collection of products that address the everyday needs of surfers and the global challenges of our planet.
The IKEA KÅSEBERGA Collection
In this collection, you will notice the conscious choices the IKEA designers made. From an appreciation for renewable and recycled materials to glassware that complements the blue gradients of the ocean, Canadians can ride the conscious wave with products for indoors and out – all made with respect for nature. The design process revolved around including functionality, more recycled materials and promoting a more circular lifestyle. As a result, a big part of the products in the KÅSEBERGA collection are made of recycled polyester, while others are made of renewables, such as bamboo and cork.
The range of KÅSEBERGA includes over 20 products intended for the home or wherever life takes them. Among those are a hand plane for body surfing, a beach chair, a portable grill, a coffee table and a bag uniquely designed to function well for beach clean-ups.
“It has been an honour and a pleasure to team up with Rob Machado, the WSL and IKEA to create KÅSEBERGA. A collection of ocean-inspired home goods and on-the-go surf essentials in the most functional high vibe low impact way. For the ever-growing global community of earth-conscious surfers and beach lovers,” says Kassia Meador, surfer and business owner.
KÅSEBERGA, named after a small city in Sweden with one of the most southern surf breaks in the country, will launch nationwide in stores and online at IKEA.ca this May 2022.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FashionSeptember 21, 2023ORAKI: Cynthia Savard Brings Her Passion to the West Coast
- GetAwaySeptember 16, 2023Into the Lavender Haze: Fairmont Empress Debuts a Collection of Lavender-Infused Experiences
- PersonalitiesSeptember 5, 2023PRESS RELEASE: Appointment of Giovanna Lazzarini to Editor-in-Chief
- EventsAugust 22, 2023BC Culture Days Unveils 14th Annual Celebration Details!