In a city as fast-moving as Vancouver, being behind schedule and wearing uncomfortable footwear could literally make or break your day! If you are a cool shoes-on and sensible shoes in the handbag kind of woman (for swapping as necessary), check out our suggestions for the following three Vancouver-based businesses.
Each has a great selection of easy walking shoes that are stylish, comfortable, and vegan. We also like that each of the brands takes a different approach to eco-friendly materials while making high-quality shoes that can be worn for many years to come.
Nice Shoes is an independently-owned shoe store based in Vancouver and conveniently located on Grant Street at Commercial Drive. They are a fully vegan store that offers over 50 brands including Matt and Nat and Birkenstock. Nice Shoes offers a range of vegan products from hiking boots to high heels to socks. The owners are also active in supporting numerous animal rights organizations and vegan events in our communities.
Vessi is a Vancouver brand that has gone international with its products! The brand fosters a healthier and happier planet with shoes made from vegan materials and 100% recyclable packaging with zero plastic. The company started by creating completely waterproof sneakers that would not only keep water out but also keep your feet sweat-free and comfortable while being stylish. Vessi shoes are made to be shoes you can wear everywhere and in any weather.
Native Shoes is making lightweight, odour-resistant, and shock absorbent shoes that are washable and comfortable to wear. The brand is working towards having the life cycle of their products being 100% managed by 2023 through their Remix Project. The Remix Project recycles worn Native shoes into seating, insulation, and playground flooring that can be found at 5 playgrounds in the lower mainland. They have many styles, including the Jefferson Bloom shoes which are made with algae through a process that helps restore clean air and water back into the environment.
Footwear Honourable Mentions
Vancouver has so many great sustainable shoe brands where you can find any shoe you could dream of. Honourable mentions to Matt & Nat, a Canadian brand making vegan, cruelty-free and recycled shoes from high-quality materials, and Call It Spring, who are making playful and unique shoes from vegan and 90% natural materials. If buying new shoes is not your thing, look to thrift stores like Value Village and Salvation Army for great second-hand finds and a great deal.
- Olivia is passionate about fashion, writing and supporting brands that go above and beyond to support environmental and ethical issues. She believes in living an eco-friendly lifestyle and shopping sustainably and locally. As she learns more, Olivia strives to find brands to showcase that create high-quality products worthy of support.
- Fashion2022.05.01Sustainable Shopping: Canadian Brands that Bring it! From Kotn to Franc
- Fashion2022.04.25Sustainable Activewear: Introducing Alder, tentree, Free Label & Vitae Apparel
- Fashion2022.04.18Sustainable Loungewear: Stay Stylish & Comfy in These 3 Chic Lines
- Fashion2022.04.11Sustainable Shopping: Outerwear that Gets You Outside in Style