Do Chay Saigon Vegetarian a new restaurant in Vancouver that opened its doors so quietly last month that it took loud word-of-mouth to make it one of the hottest spots to experience amazing flavourful plantbased meals.
Located at 1392 Kingsway, Do Chay is a 32-seat, plant-based restaurant that is creating popular street food dishes in a sit-down setting. Opened by Patrick Do and Amanda Clark, the menu is almost all plant-based with many gluten-free offerings.
The spacious restaurant was designed by Tom Do and is modeled after the former tenant—a Chinese herbal medicine shop—which used to occupy the space. New is water wall treatment, large glass containers displaying unique ingredients, and a large welcoming wooden door.
“Do Chay has been two-plus years in the making,” says co-owner Patrick Do. “The building burnt down, and it was an uphill battle to get to where we are today, but everything has been worth it so far. The positive reception we’ve received has been humbling.”
Popular dishes at Do Chay are the fluffy Coconut Rice Cakes, finger-licking XO Potstickers, crunchy Seitan Calamari Lotus Salad, and delightfully light Vegan Pho with avocado. Vancouverites are curious and hungry for this modern take on Vietnamese and Do says “Our name means vegetarian stuff. Plant-based is not only delicious, but it can be interesting. It has been incredibly fun and fulfilling to experiment with all the vegan flavours and to see our guests embrace and enjoy our dishes thus far. I’ve always wanted to open a Vietnamese restaurant that was both approachable and yet still stays close to my family’s roots.”
The Do Chay menu is broken down into three categories: street food, noodle bowls, and rice bowls, with new items already lined up for release over the course of the summer.
The Do Chay hot spot is licensed with a full beverage menu, open every day from 11:30 am until late. Reservations available at the large round table for a large group, otherwise seating is first come, first serve.
- Helen Siwak is passionate about content creation, marketing, shopping secondhand, promoting a vegan lifestyle, and supporting organizations and activists fighting against the status quo. She is founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Communications (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). She is the founder of V.E.G. Networking Group and soon-to-launch LittleBlack.Tee | email@example.com.
- GetAway2021.08.25Rocky Mountaineer Rolls Through the Red Rocks of the Southwest USA
- Beauty2021.08.23Buckle Up: One Clinic MD is Ready to JetPeel Your Face!
- Beauty2021.08.20Toothwave Brings New Technology to Your Daily Routine
- Fashion2021.06.29Tika the Iggy Supporting Rainbow Railroad with Poshmark Closet Sale