Montréal-based fashion brand Jeane & Jax has unveiled a surprise addition to their fall 2020 offerings: a limited-edition vegan leather jacket created from repurposed materials and is PETA Approved – which is available online now!
The Zero Waste Vegan Moto Jacket has been crafted from upcycled car interior textile panels, which that you can’t tell from glancing at the moto-chic look of the finished product. The Vegan Moto Jacket serves as an example of the Japanese concept of Mottainai, which translates to “finding the intrinsic value in unwanted materials.” Japan-based fabric-sourcing outfit Ultrafabrics donated the polyurethane necessary to create this limited edition product.
The brand has a strong legacy of producing sustainable and ethical products, namely with their 100% vegan handbags and footwear, which is responsibly sourced from producers who have been vetted to ensure low environmental impact and an absence of hazardous chemicals.
“It’s time to do away with the misconception that luxury means expensive items made of leather,” says Silvia Gallo, who founded the brand after a career on the buying side of the fashion industry. “‘Being an empowered consumer and saving the planet is not a trend.”
Gallo founded the brand with the desire to shift the future of fashion, offering her own definition of luxury by designing timeless pieces using sustainable materials. The brand’s reasonable prices are the cherry on top, making sustainable luxury fashion accessible to even more customers. This is especially important in the luxury leather industry, which goes beyond the harsh reality of the impact of raising animals. Leather production requires large amounts of energy, water and harsh chemicals, while polyurethane-based leather avoids these outcomes and can be made from sustainable materials like pineapple leaves, cork, and recycled plastic.
Jeane & Jax has made its name known among a rising tide of Canadian vegan leather brands who are making big moves for sustainable fashion. Saving perfectly good materials from ending up in the landfill is just one of the ways that they are showing they are a brand to watch in the future.
- Helen Siwak is passionate about content creation, marketing, shopping secondhand, promoting a vegan lifestyle, and supporting organizations and activists fighting against the status quo. She is founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Communications (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). She is the founder of V.E.G. Networking Group and soon-to-launch LittleBlack.Tee | email@example.com.
- Charity2021.10.19BWSS My Sister’s Closet: Marking 20-Years of Empowering Survivors of Gender-Based Violence
- ☆ Shop Local Spotlights!2021.10.19Bite Down on This! BC-based Good Organics Launches Organic Toothpaste Tablets
- Beauty2021.10.05Teaology: Introduces 3 Powerful Serums Infused with Tea
- Beauty2021.09.28DEUX Cosmetics: Quebec Brand Launches Crueltyfree Discovery Boxes