Named after Sedna, the goddess of the ocean in Inuit lore and the mother of all marine mammals, this experiential Arctic ocean outreach program for Inuit youth and Elders will take place in Qausuittuq (Resolute) and Mittimatalik (Pond Inlet). This is where Sedna’s sea women will showcase sea critters in mobile aquariums and lead underwater robot-building workshops and snorkel safaris, bringing the ocean to eye level for Inuit communities and Adventure Canada travelers.
Sedna Epic Expedition is an international team of women – ocean explorers, scientists, artists, educators and scuba diving professionals – whose mandate is to scout, document, and record disappearing sea ice in the Arctic is partnering with Adventure Canada. Team Sedna will mount a snorkel and dive expedition aboard Adventure Canada’s vessel, the Ocean Endeavour, from August 6-17, 2018 during the Arctic Safari expedition to Nunavut and western Greenland.
This winning partnership combines Indigenous and scientific knowledge to document climate change and empowering Inuit girls and young women in the Arctic.
“We’re delighted to partner with Adventure Canada, a company that embraces Inuit culture and traditions, and has successfully operated in the Arctic for more than thirty years,” said Susan R. Eaton, the Calgary-based founder and leader of the Sedna Epic Expedition. “Sedna’s sea women, Inuit advisors, and young Inuit team members look forward to collaborating with Adventure Canada’s resource team, and to delivering our signature, hands-on ocean outreach program in Nunavut’s Inuit communities.”
Advance planning will engage community members in Sedna’s ocean outreach and mentorship programs designed to empower Inuit girls and young women. Adventure Canada is pleased to sponsor the participation of Alexia Galloway-Alainga and Kristen Ungungai-Kownak, two mentees and Inuit throat singers who participated in Sedna’s 2016 expedition to Iqaluit.
During the Arctic Safari expedition, Sedna’s sea women will engage with passengers aboard the Ocean Endeavour, inviting them to participate in their citizen science ocean programs, including a ship-based marine mammal and seabird survey. Sedna’s internationally-renowned sea women will present lectures on topics ranging from climate change to maritime archaeology and underwater photography and videography.
“Adventure Canada is thrilled to partner with Team Sedna, providing opportunities for Inuit girls and young women in the Arctic to have meaningful, hands-on experiences with science and technology,” says Cedar Swan, Adventure Canada CEO. “Our aim is to develop these leaders so that generations to come have strong, successful, female role models and are empowered to combat societal change, ocean change, and climate change in their communities. It’s doubly exciting to engage and foster this collaboration between Adventure Canada’s guests and Team Sedna.”
The dive and snorkel operations will be managed by award-winning Ocean Quest Adventures, a Newfoundland-based partner of the Sedna Epic since 2014. For twenty years, Ocean Quest has been an industry leader in cold-water diving and snorkelling, offering scuba training, charters, and adventure expeditions, while sharing their passion for marine life, culture, heritage and adventure.
Alongside the unique collaboration, expedition highlights include seeking belugas and narwhals in Lancaster Sound, a performance from the Tununiq Arsarniit Theatre Group of Mittimatalik, Zodiac cruises in search of polar bears, whales, birds and walrus in their Arctic feeding grounds, visiting the Franklin Expedition gravesites at Beechey Island, and crossing the Arctic Circle by sea—twice!
If you or your company would like to get involved in working SEDNA Adventures to create future environmental endeavours, please contact them directly through their website.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BeautyNovember 8, 2023Loa Skin: How Tyler & Spencer Create Clean Skincare Solutions for You
- Disruptive Women in BusinessOctober 6, 2023Marianne Zakhour: Orderbot Creates Success with Better Systems & Automation
- CharityOctober 4, 2023Arts Umbrella Presents the 41st Edition of the Splash Art Auction
- FashionSeptember 21, 2023ORAKI: Cynthia Savard Brings Her Passion to the West Coast