Pre-loved, pre-owned, secondhand, hand-me-down, regifted. These are all timely and desirable words for a luxury-loving fashionista to have in their shopping vocabulary. It is no secret that a well-chosen handbag can pull a look together when all else fails. Over the past two years, the importance of a great handbag fell to the bottom of most ‘must-have’ lists – somewhere after a little black dress and before 4″ heels – but the time is now to start prioritizing your style.
If you have found yourself tired of all the bags in your wardrobe, picking out something pre-owned and new to you is a responsible way to avoid new leather products being created, making designer shopping eco-friendly!
Need A Few Good Reasons?
- Pre-owned luxury items are reasonably priced. Why buy one beautiful bag when you can have two?
- Keeping up with trends. With fashion moving so quickly, you can buy, consign, buy, consign, repeat!
- No waiting lists. New bags often come with seasons long waiting lists. Not with resale!
- Quality always trumps quantity. Buying pre-owned gets you a higher quality that is not available with imitations. Counterfeits may look glamorous online but we have all seen those ‘what I ordered – what I got’ Instagram memes!
Our Recommendations for Secondhand Shopping
Here are five BC-based luxury resale and consignment shops we recommend you hit up – in person or online – to find a versatile and stylish handbag (or two) that will keep you looking and feeling great all season.
Modaselle Authentic Luxury
With over twenty brands to choose from, Modaselle is not short on options for those who love variety and selection. The iconic brands found in-store and online such as Chanel, Balenciaga, and Miu Miu in classic and well sought after style. Modaselle also sells fine jewellery and other accessories like luggage and collectibles. Located on the edge of Yaletown with ample parking. Get buzzed in and explore!
Mine & Yours Luxury Fashion Resale
The now infamous bag wall at Mine & Yours has something for everyone. With an authentication guarantee, you can be assured that you are investing in genuine luxury goods. Carrying high-end designer brands including Chloe, Salvatore Ferragamo, Christian Dior, and Goyard, Mine & Yours always has great finds for second-hand bags, wallets, and accessories. (Read more about their recent Davie Street launch here).
A La Mode Upscale Resale
A La Mode is a Vancouver Island staple that we recently had the pleasure of visiting. It is a woman-owned inclusive company that is founded on the belief that extending the lifecycle of luxury goods is awesome. The Victoria-based consignment boutique offers contemporary brands day-to-day brands like Tory Burch and Coach, and includes luxury brands like Gucci. A La Mode has been committed to high-quality goods and slow fashion for an amazing twelve years!
Turnabout Luxury Resale
With eight locations around the lower mainland, Turnabout has been a go-to spot for second-hand luxury since 1978. From contemporary brands like Coach and Kate Spade, all the way to luxury brands like Celine and Bottega Veneta, each location has something for everyone. Turnabout also works with charities like Dress for Success, Cause We Care, and more which makes sustainable shopping even sweeter.
FAULKNER is a unique luxury resale and consignment shop known for offering a strong selection of niche Japanese brands like Issey Miyake, as well as well-known European labels and vintage Americana. From Louis Vuitton to Prada to Vivienne Westwood to Burberry, Faulkner has a finely curated selection of eclectic and hard-to-find preloved handbags, backpacks, and wallets. Located in Gastown, you can always find unique pieces to add to your collection.
Not sure where to begin? Wondering how to tell real from fake? Fortunately, each of our five recommendations has a staff of professionals who will take care of everything for you. Each of these boutiques stakes its reputation on authenticity and goes to considerable lengths to guarantee that what they offer is genuine, is part of their everyday business.
- Olivia is passionate about fashion, writing and supporting brands that go above and beyond to support environmental and ethical issues. She believes in living an eco-friendly lifestyle and shopping sustainably and locally. As she learns more, Olivia strives to find brands to showcase that create high-quality products worthy of support.
- FashionMay 1, 2022Sustainable Shopping: Canadian Brands that Bring it! From Kotn to Franc
- FashionApril 25, 2022Sustainable Activewear: Introducing Alder, tentree, Free Label & Vitae Apparel
- FashionApril 18, 2022Sustainable Loungewear: Stay Stylish & Comfy in These 3 Chic Lines
- FashionApril 11, 2022Sustainable Shopping: Outerwear that Gets You Outside in Style