Searching for an incredible new summer drink? How about this Refreshing Aromatic Purple Lavender Lemonade! Sweet citrus paired with calming lavender is a beautiful match. Purple Lavender Lemonade is the perfect beverage on a hot day or to make for a special occasion.
This beverage is lovely to serve for baby showers, bridal showers, summer brunches or late summer nights. You will also feel good about serving it because it is naturally coloured with blue butterfly pea powder and lower in sugar than most lemonades. Enjoy this refreshing beverage as is or add a shot of your favourite spirit and make it into a cocktail.
How To Make Lavender Syrup
The secret to infusing the beautiful floral scent of lavender into this lemonade is by making a simple syrup. It is also excellent to use in lattes or to pour over baked goods for added moisture and flavour.
- First, combine cut lavender and sugar in a bowl. Use clean fingers to massage the flowers into the sugar.
- Pour boiling water over the lavender sugar. Stir with a spoon until all the sugar has melted. Cover and let infuse for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place a sieve over a bowl and strain the syrup.
- Depending on the size of your pitcher you may not want to use the entire amount of syrup. I recommend adding half the amount then taste adding more as desired.
Tip: Use lavender sparingly. The beautiful floral scent can easily become overpowering.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Additional Time: 60 minutes for infusing
For Easy to Make Purple Lavender Lemonade
10–12 Freshly picked organic lavender flowers or 2 tbsp dried lavender
3/4 cup organic white sugar
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp blue butterfly pea powder
6–8 cups of cold filtered water (more if needed)
Lots of ice
Lemon slices and sprigs of lavender to garnish
Instructions / Purple Lavender Lemonade
- Rinse lavender under cold water if needed.
- Remove the lavender flowers from the stem and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the sugar over the flowers and with clean hands gently massage the flowers into the sugar.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of boiling water over the sugar and stir until sugar has melted.
- Cover and let sit for 1 hour or overnight.
- Pour the syrup through a sieve removing all the lavender flowers.
- Add 1/2 the amount of syrup to your jug or pitcher.
- Add blue butterfly powder (if you are using it) and mix well.
- Stir in lemon juice and watch the colour change to a beautiful purple hue.
- Add water and taste. Add more of the syrup, lemon juice or water if desired.
- Add ice and garnish with lemon slices and sprigs of lavender.
- Susan Pratt is an entrepreneur, vegan chef, food photographer and author who enjoys life with her family in beautiful North Vancouver. Susan shares her love of cooking vegan for her family through her SusanCooksVegan brand that eating healthy doesn't need to be daunting or inaccessible. Susan creates approachable, delicious and visually appealing plant-based dishes and shares recipes and video demos on her website. Watch for the exciting upcoming launch of The Susan Cooks Vegan Cooking Show series on UnchainedTV: Vegan News Network.
- #SusanCooksVeganJune 24, 2022#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make A Carrot Lox Vegan Cream Cheese Bagel
- #SusanCooksVeganJune 16, 2022#SusanCooksVegan: Let’s Make Sweet Ginger Cauliflower
- #SusanCooksVeganJune 8, 2022#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Strawberry Nice Cream & Dragon Fruit Parfait
- #SusanCooksVeganJune 3, 2022#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops