With only a few minor finishing touches remaining, Avenue Road is set to open in late March at its first location at the edge of Gastown. Across from the new Fendi Casa Bentley Home store and mere blocks from Versace Home, the two-story 100-year old historical building offers a total concept design experience with the most amazing architectural products, kitchens and lighting, furniture, textiles, and accessories.
Avenue Road worked extensively with heritage consultants to preserve many of the building’s original elements to create this modern airy showroom of wonderfully textured furniture. As a person motivated by tactile surfaces, it was marvelous to move from area to area exploring the woodwork, the luscious fabrics, the coolness of the porcelain items, and the weightiness of the carved stonework.
The building’s original Douglas Fir columns and beams have been beautifully integrated into the new design which pays tribute to the regions natural environment and the spirit of Vancouver’s older architecture. Metal arches with recessed lighting bookend the beams creating a centre line transecting the floor—drawing the eye from front to back—the effect is rugged and captivating.
“The space is very much a reflection of Vancouver, which we see as this cosmopolitan city set within a landscape of raw, natural beauty,” says Abraham Chan, Principal at Abraham Chan Design Office. “It’s this juxtaposition between raw and refined that we sought to evoke in our design. Throughout the space, you’ll see certain materials and elements set in contrast to each other, whether it’s smooth grey oak flooring paired with sandblasted marble, or industrial steel set against softly lit walls.”
The showroom’s lower level houses exclusive category specialists including Porsche Design Lighting from apure, Spanish designer Jaime Hayon’s pieces for Austrian manufacturer Wittmann, Tribù Outdoor Furniture, and Obumex bespoke and signature kitchens.
Step off West Pender into the showroom and discover Avenue Road’s curated collection sourced from the world’s leading design brands and designers, such as Bruno Moinard, Kvadrat/Raf Simons, Christophe Delcourt, and Van Rossum, as well as Canadian designers like Yabu Pushelberg, Moss&Lam, Unit Five and Jacques Guillon.
Sit and have a consult in front of the ceramic wall art installation by Moss & Lam—which embodies the natural beauty of Vancouver’s expansive parks and dramatic ocean with beautiful and tailored handcrafted elements—as well as an extensive collection of handmade porcelain objects and tiling from German company Nymphenburg.
Enter through doors off of Hamilton Street to the lower level and greeted by a modern and architectural floral shop called Hanna by Celsia Floral, a local Vancouver florist occupying a natural light bathed tiled ‘pop-up’ area.
British brand The Rug Company is situated over most of Avenue Road’s lower floor. The company produces some of the finest quality rugs in the world by combining the ancient craft of rug making with the creative brilliance of some of today’s most talented designers, including Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith, and Alexander McQueen among many others.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at email@example.com.
- BeautyNovember 8, 2023Loa Skin: How Tyler & Spencer Create Clean Skincare Solutions for You
- Disruptive Women in BusinessOctober 6, 2023Marianne Zakhour: Orderbot Creates Success with Better Systems & Automation
- CharityOctober 4, 2023Arts Umbrella Presents the 41st Edition of the Splash Art Auction
- FashionSeptember 21, 2023ORAKI: Cynthia Savard Brings Her Passion to the West Coast