Known for its ultra-glamour evening of visual and aural excellence, the SPLASH Gala did not follow the trend of postponement that many other large annual charitable fundraisers have done. Instead, under the guidance of a visionary team, Arts Umbrella has announced a first-of-its-kind Special 2020 Edition of the Splash Art Auction & Gala. Moving forward on Saturday, October 24, the flagship fundraiser will carry on its tradition of supporting youth arts programming with a combination of in-person and online experiences, presented by Nicola Wealth.
Launched in 1979 as a grassroots project, Arts Umbrella has evolved into Canada’s leading non-profit organization for arts education for young people. Splash is anchored by an acclaimed live and silent auction of artworks entirely donated by the Canadian artist community. The event has raised more than $7.2 million in net proceeds to date, allowing young people across Metro Vancouver to access programs and workshops through bursaries, scholarships and donor-funded community programs.
Due to the pandemic, Arts Umbrella is reimagining this year’s Splash as an experience that enables guests to celebrate safely, in small groups. For the first time, the event will be hosted across multiple locations ranging from leading restaurants to private venues, each with a maximum of 50 people as per provincial government and health official guidelines. Organizers anticipate attendance to exceed more than 500 business and community leaders, patrons, collectors and art enthusiasts from across the country.
The glamorous evening is co-chaired by avid arts supporters Christie Garofalo and Bruce Munro Wright. The live auction will employ a state-of-the-art platform that connects guests at every event location via large digital screens. Then, of course, there’s the art: guests can explore close to 100 artworks by renowned contemporary artists from across Canada, including Dana Claxton, Lyle XOX, Douglas Coupland, Andrew Dadson, Kim Dorland, John Hartman, Angela Grossmann, Marie Khouri, Miriam Aroeste, and Stephen Waddell.
“The world is now a different place, yet through these challenging times, artistic expression has emerged as a means of sharing hope and connecting with each other,” says Paul Larocque, President & CEO of Arts Umbrella. “Now more than ever, we need to support and nurture young peoples’ creativity so they continue to benefit from these outlets… but we can’t do it alone. We need your help, and we are so grateful to everyone who attends Splash and helps make a difference in these children’s lives.”
In addition to enjoying Splash’s Special 2020 Edition, ticketholders will receive an invitation to a private tour at the Pendulum Gallery to preview the Splash 2020 Art Collection (September 21 to October 16). Art collectors unable to attend Splash in person need not miss out on the opportunity to bid: at-home tickets are available for purchase, complete with local catering delivery.
To purchase tickets and learn more about Splash 2020, visit artsumbrella.com/events/splash-2020.
Splash will be following guidelines from the Public Health Agency of Canada, the BC Ministry of Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control. The organization will continue to monitor changes to the current situation, and adjust event logistics as necessary. All guests registered to attend a private gala location will be contacted with a COVID-19 safety checklist, and are required to comply with requested screening and protocols.
Ticket Pricing: Gala tickets: $400 (available September 1) / Luminary tickets: $750 (includes priority placement at private gala locations, recognition during the live broadcast, and significant tax receipt)
[Story header artwork by Christine Breakell-Lee]
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at email@example.com.
- FashionSeptember 21, 2023ORAKI: Cynthia Savard Brings Her Passion to the West Coast
- GetAwaySeptember 16, 2023Into the Lavender Haze: Fairmont Empress Debuts a Collection of Lavender-Infused Experiences
- PersonalitiesSeptember 5, 2023PRESS RELEASE: Appointment of Giovanna Lazzarini to Editor-in-Chief
- EventsAugust 22, 2023BC Culture Days Unveils 14th Annual Celebration Details!