Beautify your breakfast with these Blue Ombré Pancakes with Vegan Coconut Caramel. These fun, fancy pancakes are vegan, gluten-free and require only 5 ingredients, and come in a smidge under 500 calories. Topped with a luscious caramel that is smooth and decadent and dare I say, good for you as it is full of good fats and protein.
Quick and Easy Blue Ombré Pancakes with Vegan Coconut Caramel
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
4-6 servings / 445 Calories
Tip: Make the batter the night before to have a quick and easy breakfast that will fuel your family all day long!
Blue Butterfly Pea Powder – There is something about colourful food that instantly makes food more fun and exciting. I use Blue Butterfly Pea Powder in this recipe to naturally colour the pancakes. It not only adds an eye-catching blue hue but nutrients as well.
For The Blue Ombré Pancakes:
4 ripe bananas
4 1/2 cups whole grain oats (gluten-free if needed)
4 cups plant milk (I prefer oat)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp Blue Butterfly Pea Powder (more if needed)
Optional: 2 tsp vanilla extract (if you enjoy this flavour)
Pancake toppings: blueberries, puffed quinoa, banana stars
For the Vegan Coconut Caramel
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ maple syrup
2 tbsp nut butter (almond, peanut or cashew)
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of sea salt
Instructions / The Blue Ombré Pancakes:
- Add bananas, oats, baking powder, plant milk and vanilla (if using) to a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until a smooth batter is achieved. Let sit for 4-5 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once hot add 1 tbsp coconut oil, plant butter or non-stick spray.
- To get the ombré effect, make 2-4 4 inch wide pancakes with regular batter, mix or blend in 1/2 tsp of blue butterfly pea powder, and continue the process until you run out of batter.
- Cook pancakes for about 3 mins or until you see the surface covered with bubbles. Use a spatula to flip and cook for an additional 2-3 mins. Turn down the heat and adding more oil if needed.
- Arrange pancakes from dark blue to light. Top with Vegan Coconut Caramel and favourite toppings.
Instructions / Vegan Coconut Caramel Sauce:
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add maple syrup, nut butter, vanilla and salt.
- Stir until sauce forms (about 3-4mins).
- Store leftovers in a sealed container, refrigerated for up to a week. Reheat in a pan, skillet or microwave.
- Susan Pratt is an entrepreneur, vegan chef, food photographer and author who enjoys life with her family in beautiful North Vancouver. Susan shares her love of cooking vegan for her family through her SusanCooksVegan brand that eating healthy doesn't need to be daunting or inaccessible. Susan creates approachable, delicious and visually appealing plant-based dishes and shares recipes and video demos on her website. Watch for the exciting upcoming launch of The Susan Cooks Vegan Cooking Show series on UnchainedTV: Vegan News Network.
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.24#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make A Carrot Lox Vegan Cream Cheese Bagel
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.16#SusanCooksVegan: Let’s Make Sweet Ginger Cauliflower
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.08#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Strawberry Nice Cream & Dragon Fruit Parfait
- #SusanCooksVegan2022.06.03#SusanCooksVegan: How To Make Miso Glazed Vegan Mushroom Scallops