A rare sunny weekend in Vancouver has caught everyone off-guard and now who isn’t thinking about getting out and going shopping! My suggestion is to hustle your lulu’s over to Yaletown and visit Leisure Center as this weekend they are presenting the debut trunk show of local duo, designers, and partners, Laurence & Chico.
This quirky label unpacked 150 mind-blowing luscious pieces of ready-to-wear, iPhone accessories too big for a baguette but for perfect for a Birkin, and a few furniture pieces—teaser to their upcoming lifestyle brand launch—all for the taking by those who were not afraid to brave the blinding rays of the almost forgotten sun.
On Friday evening, a private launch was held for devotees, clients, and media, who arrived bedecked from head-to-toe in past collections of intense colours, swirling patterns, fringed denim, and beadwork.
The 2018 collection presented explores the relationship between people and their pampered pets inspired by the duo’s two French Bulldogs – Pearl and Button.
Models were presented in oversized garments and hats adorned with an over-abundance of pearls and ruffles, reams of faux-fur, as well as embellished with endearing commands of “GROOM ME,” “WALK ME,” and “PET ME.”
While the styling would have been considered heavy-handed on any other collection—tiny hats perched upon reach-the-sky wigs which enveloped faces painted with vibrant animalian eye make-up and pasted-on pearls—seemed oddly balanced and completely natural.
Everyone was agog as the minimalist space was turned into a maximalist fantasy of looks featuring layers upon layers of flamboyant ruffles, bulging quilted checks, shredded tweed, oversized droopy velvet bows, plush faux-fur, all corralled with rope after rope of oversized pearls.
While the fashions were being ogled, the main model in the faux-fur chair tableau began singing opera and the whole scenario was taking to a totally new level of abstractness.
Mason Wu and MuYun Li, founders of Leisure Center and Richmond’s Kokko, were early patrons of Laurence & Chico and presenting this debut trunk show was a natural extension of the relationship.
Currently living in Vancouver and traveling between Shenzhen and New York, keeps these Laurence and Chico continuous inspired, and I look forward to sharing more of their vivid journey.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. email@example.com
- Home & Decor2019.11.30EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Custom Design Your Home with Lake Effect Interiors
- Personalities2019.11.30EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Fashion Santa Slays While in YVR for Indochino Shoot
- Events2019.11.28EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Vallea Lumina Brings Illumination to Cougar Mountain
- Dining2019.09.15EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Vietnamese Restaurant Do Chay Saigon Launches Exciting Menu