As more and more of us move from remote working back into the office, the need for on-the-go meals has increased. If you are seeking fast-food convenience but not the unhealthy aspect of traditional breakfasts, finding a plant-based version of your usual go-to may be difficult!
At a recent food industry conference (CHFA), EcoLuxLifestyle.co connected with Alpha Foods. After trying their tasty microwavable breakfast items, we knew we had to share the Alpha Foods products and introduce the company’s co-founders from Alberta and California. Their plant-based products are now available in North America at over 9,000 grocers!
2 Founders from 2 Countries
Founded in 2015 and based in California, Alpha Foods is dedicated to providing sustainable food choices that support animal welfare, healthier humans and a healthier planet. We love that they offer a wide variety of protein-packed, heart-healthy and clean-label foods that are free-from GMOs, cholesterol, hormones, palm oil, and all animal products.
The company was founded by Canadian Cole Orobetz and American Loren Wallis. Loren is CEO with over 20 years of experience in the plant-based food industry and CEO of dairy-free beverage company Good Karma Foods. Cole is CFO and a certified accountant who founded his first company at 18 years old!
“We are continuously reimagining convenient, plant-based options for everyone to enjoy during every meal of the day,” says Cole. “There is such a huge lack of plant-based breakfast options, we knew we had to bring something delicious to the category – and these breakfast sandwiches and burritos are just that. As a brand, we will continue to identify those holes and fill them with innovative products.”
All Day Burritos
Bursting with flavour, the tasty burrito filling is wrapped up in a traditional flour tortilla shell. They are protein-packed, non-GMO and really hit the spot. If you do not have a sandwich griller, defrost in the microwave and air-fry for a crunchy exterior!
Flavours include Chick’N Fajita, Mexicali, Philly, Steakless Ranchero, and Pizza.
Crispy, tender and juicy meatless Chik’n Nuggets and Burgers. Dip them, top them, toss them in a salad, or throw on top a bowl of mac and cheese.
A seasoned meatless sausage patty, plant-based egg fold and dairy-free cheese in an English muffin, make this a tasty start to a day. We loved ours with a touch of Kozlik’s Sweet & Smoky Mustard and a smear of Chosen Foods avocado mayonnaise.
Your patty problems are solved with a delicious crispy chik’n or meatless sausage plant-based patties. Burgers, sandwiches, wraps and more – the choice is yours. Experiment with different toppings! Try arugula instead of lettuce, Violife feta over cheddar, and a pretzel bun over a traditional hamburger bun.
DIY Burrito Bowl
Just because an item is presented as ready-to-eat doesn’t mean that it cannot be added to a meal as an ingredient. Enjoy elevating an Alpha Foods Burrito with this recipe for a hearty bowl that is so delish you may want it again for dinner!
1 Alpha Foods Burrito – Any flavour works
1 medium potato, diced
1/2 red onion, chopped
9-10 Brussels sprouts, halved and stems removed
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 small orange, juiced
Sea salt & pepper to taste
Fresh herbs (optional)
Guacamole or salsa (optional)
- Sauté half of the garlic in 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the potatoes and bell pepper.
- Cook for 9-10 minutes over medium heat and add a little more oil if need be. Stir well to avoid burning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate pan (you can do this at the same time), sauté the onion and rest of the garlic in 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the Brussels sprouts.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, then add the vegetable broth and orange juice. Let simmer for 2 more minutes and add sea salt to taste.
- Microwave your choice of Burrito for about 1 min and 15 seconds, then grill it in a sandwich press for a few more minutes to make the tortilla nice and crispy (if you don’t have a sandwich press, simply omit this step and microwave 15-30 seconds longer).
- Top with fresh herbs and enjoy with guacamole, salsa, or your favourite dip!
Alpha Foods provides 100% plant-based foods that are delicious and convenient options for everyone. Find them at Urban Fare, Choices, and other large grocers across Canada.
All images are sourced from @alphafoods.
- Helen Siwak is passionate about plantbased culinary, promoting a vegan lifestyle, shopping secondhand, and supporting eco-activists. Her plate is full as founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Comms (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). | firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dining & Beverages2023.06.06From the Ground Up: 5 BC Businesses to Support!
- Dining & Beverages2023.05.14Compassionate Culinary: Heirloom Restaurant’s Towering Pancakes & Crispy Tacos
- Dining & Beverages2023.03.22Fancy a Weekend Getaway? Visit These 5 Organic Wineries in BC’s Okanagan
- Dining & Beverages2022.09.09Compassionate Culinary: Tasting Plates on the Folke Patio