ALDO introduced it’s first carbon-neutral, recycled sneaker! This sustainable shoe, RPPL (pronounced ripple), is created of recycled bottles and foam derived from lake algae.
THE ENVIRONMENTAL COMMITMENT
In 2017 ALDO Group was the first footwear and accessories company to be certified 100% climate neutral. The brand offset 100% of carbon emissions produced in 2017 in their corporate stores, offices, and distribution centres. Recently, ALDO group’s brand Call It Spring introduced 100% animal-free products. Now, in collaboration with BLOOM, ALDO continues on its mission of sustainable products and production.
The RPPL sneaker upper is knitted from yarn made from 3 to 6 plastic bottles per shoe. This diverts waste that would have otherwise ended up in landfills or the ocean. The raw materials required are also significantly reduced.
The sole of the shoe is made up of BLOOM Foam. This is an innovative material derived from lake algae biomass. While algae are a normal part of water ecosystems, overgrowth is harmful to the other inhabitants. BLOOM takes hazardous algae overgrowth and turns it into a renewable plant source. This means the use of petroleum found in traditional sole materials is offset. Algae, a carbon-neutral raw material, is grown without any labour, irrigation, pesticides, fertilizers, or land transportation.
The RPPL sneaker is so sustainable that even the box is made of recycled material!
RPPL Quick Facts:
- The sole is formulated from hazardous algae overgrowth
- The upper is knitted from 3 to 6 water bottleS
- RPPL keeps 46 tons of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere
- RPPL returns 2.5 million litres of clean water to waterways
- A combined 6 styles for men and women
The RPPL sneaker has a powerful impact on the environment. This shoe will keep 46-tons of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, and a combined total of 2.5 million litres of clean, filtered water will go back to waterways. These reduce the need for fossil fuels and protect animals and plant life.
- Mona Butler is a freelance writer based in Vancouver, BC.
- Events2020.10.12EcoLux☆Lifestyle: ‘Shattered at The Beaumont’ is Damned Delightful Halloween Fun
- Fashion2020.10.07EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Aldo Love Planet Program – Sustainable & Stylish
- Beauty2020.09.30EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Joanna Keller Beautique x Primp & Proper Opens in Gastown
- Fashion2020.06.29EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Heat-Up Your Summer Wardrobe With These 8 Canadian Vegan Handbag Brands