As Canadians, we know that there are three things in life that are inevitable – taxes, death, and goose poop. Apparently, the Fins agree! The Finnish city of Lahti is known for their pioneering environmental action, and for their open-minded cooperation with local people. Now the European Green Capital 2021 joins forces with the local microbrewery Ant Brew by crafting a new beer series. The Wasted Potential beers are brewed with wild herbs, local food waste, like bread, berries and fruits – and goose droppings.
The poop is used in a food-safe way to smoke malt to create a unique stout beer. The goose droppings are gathered from local parks, where geese are causing a messy problem. Now, the local parks get cleaner and the special edition summer beverages are perfect for a picnic in the park – a true two birds with one stone type of solution.
Does All Waste Lead to Beer?
The beers showcase how all waste can be utilized. The city of Lahti aims to be a completely wasteless circular economy city by 2050, and at the moment 99% of the city’s household waste is already repurposed.
Saara Piispanen, Head of Communications of Lahti European Green Capital, sums it all up nicely: “A sustainable future demands effective use of resources and innovative ways of recycling. Lahti has several well-known breweries, so what would be a better way to celebrate our environment this summer than locally brewed beers.”
What About Lahti?
Lahti is the first Finnish city to win the European Green Capital Award. A sustainable future calls for action, which is why Lahti will achieve carbon neutrality by 2025. Lahti sees its year as the European Green Capital as an opportunity to showcase the best of European green innovation, promote Finland’s climate targets, launch a range of ambitious partnership projects and make life better for local residents. Lahti is a City of Makers that tackles future challenges together.
We say ‘Cheers’ to Circular Economy innovation and utilizing waste for imaginative and incredibly creative ways to work towards a higher level of sustainability!
- Helen Siwak is passionate about plantbased culinary, promoting a vegan lifestyle, shopping secondhand, and supporting eco-activists. Her plate is full as founder and president of EcoLuxLuv Communications (Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, EcoLuxLifestyle.co). She is also the founder and co-host of V.E.G. Networking Group and soon-to-launch LittleBlack.Tee | email@example.com.
- Dining & Beverages2021.07.10Perfecting the Patio Picnic with Ecofriendly Drinks, Burgers & Grill
- Dining & Beverages2021.07.02BeetBox Beats Summer Heat with Chick-Un Burgers & Ice Cream Sammies
- Dining & Beverages2021.06.10Is Goose Poop the Secret to Sustainable Beer? Ask the City of Lahti!
- Dining & Beverages2021.05.07EcoLux☆Living: 5 Yummy Smoothie Bowls to Chill You Out This Summer